A tour around the cultural and architectural landmarks of Sofia can start from anywhere even the “end” neighborhoods, but classic can only start in one place. True, administrative and geographical center of the city – Independence Square, or rather from the metro station Serdica and monument of Saint Sophia. At the place of Lenin’s monument in communist time, now stands a high statue of St. Sophia with an owl in his hand and looking east, between the Presidency and Council of Ministers, the former Communist party headquarters … Even while we are in the station subway can look at the church St. Petka and ruins around. Going out to the famous before and empty now TZUM Mall and past him on Maria Luiza Blvd brings us to the mosque. Built-in 1576 it is operational. Behind it is a mineral bath now Museum of Sofia city. On the other side of the boulevard is The Market Hall with roman ruins on Floor -1 and Synagogue and Catholic church behind them.
|The Market Hall|
Along “Home of Cinema” we come to other ruins and follow tram line to “Mladejki (Youth) Theater”. That is Dondukov Blvd. Old houses of the 20-30s of the 20th century are on both sides of the boulevard. We arrive at Rakovski str. The street itself is a landmark. 80% of Sofia’s theaters are located on it, many curios, restaurants … On her go up to the Opera House. At the entrance stands proudly Al. Stamboliyski (1879 – 1923). Shortly we came up at the highest point on the streets and buildings are dissolved to make way on the square around the church St. Sofia and the Alexander Nevski Cathedral. The church is the second oldest preserved, gave the name of the city. It keeps the hair of revolutionary Vasil Levski, and behind it is the grave of biggest Bulgarian writer Ivan Vazov. Next is the eternal flame of the fallen for the freedom of Bulgaria. Across the broad road leading to the Nevsky is the market of antiques… What can not be found there?
Open space only emphasizes the majesty of the temple of Alexander Nevsky. Built-in 1912 of 3170 square meters. The belfry is 50 meters high and golden domes are visible from far. The crypt of the church was turned into a museum and there you can see over 200 icons. Behind Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is a beautiful building of the Gallery for Foreign Art. Roerich and Rembrandt are just a drop in the museum collection. And next is Art Akademy. Even the garden is exposure.
Behind the gallery for foreign art is the monument of Vasil Levski. This place has stood the gallows of which instead broke the will to freedom is aroused with great force. And against the Academy is National Library and the monument of Saints Cyril and Methodius. Here is Sofia University.
|Monument of the Soviet Army|
On the left is the monument of the Soviet Army and the National Assembly on the right. Let’s take right on the yellow brick along the King Liberator pass the building of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (BAS). Incredibly beautiful building. Next, are the embassies of Italy and Austria. We arrive at the garden of Crystal. Here is the Military Club building also with history and style. Cross the street back Rakovska and we in the Russian Church. Along the Bulgaria Hotel go to Battenberg Sq. and Palace. In the Palace is set Ethnographic Museum and National Art Gallery. Already did not see where he was the mausoleum of Georgi Dimitrov – first communist leader. Now is an only empty space. And the garden of the National Theater “Ivan Vazov”. Built-in 1904 theater and fountains in front are a symbol of the city. Between him and the Grand Hotel is nestled City Gallery. Impersonal building further depresses the situation and the many overlooked with indifference. Next to the hotel is a Central Post office (also an imposing building) and passed Post office we are on Slaveykov Square and book market. Here continue right along “Grafa” (Graf Ignatiev) Str. to Garibaldi Square. From there you can go right back to the garden of the theater but instead, go to the Archaeological Museum – the former Buyuk Mosque. We are now on the other side of the Presidency, in the courtyard of which is the rotunda of the 4th century converted into a church – St. George. From here go to the church of Holly Sunday, formerly known as St. King. The current building is from 1865. Again, on the square where we started. A little before Vitosha Blvd – better known as Vitoshka all pedestrian zone is Courthouse, in front of which stand two lions facing much worse than most judges. Straight go on Vitosha Blvd. along all cafes and bars on the street, we go to the National Palace of Culture… Behind are Lovers Bridge, New Art Museum and Museum Men and Earth. If you want to go to Boris garden Park go along the canal of Perlovska river. Park is huge, full of young people and places to seat and meet friends
If decide to go to the Historical Museum ask from where to get bus 204 or trolley 8 or 9…