Introducing bike routes in OpenStreetMaps, I noticed that very rarely on village roads and municipal roads exist relations for bus lines of urban and municipal transport. And since OSM’s transport map did not give me the necessary information for Bulgaria, I decided to do one. The original idea was to
Working on the ethnic backgrounds in Bulgaria, I decided to make a new map to represent where and how many Roma live in the country. I was curious about why 5% of the population is such a “problem” for the other 95% and I chose a heat map with detail
As part of the historical series of maps in my portfolio, after the GIS file of the old Bulgarian borders, a geojson file is prepared with the names of 1600 settlements, as they were called in the period from 1912 to early 30’s. Since liberation until now, there have been
I recently discovered an interesting file. Shows available maps in the archives of the University of Texas at scale 1:250,000 and 1:1M in the world used by the US Army during the second half of the 20th century. Drawn in the ’50s, no one can say that they are accurate
There is no more iconic image associated with the sea from the image of a lighthouse. Coast of Britain and Ireland, East Coast of North America are frequently photographed with lighthouse in the background or main focus. But what we know about lighthouses on 350 km coast we have in
In the Law on Tourism of 2013 was introduced the idea and concept of tourism zoning of Bulgaria. This was developed in 2014-15. The purpose of such zoning is I quote: “Bulgaria is advertised not only as a homogenous whole but as a “bouquet” of tourist areas with their own
When it comes to rock monastery, people immediately think of Aladzha monastery or monasteries around the village of Ivanovo. But it turns out that this is a historical treasure, which also little known and is quite unique in the country. If you’re a fan of this kind of tourism you
While looking for information about old Sofia, I found map from 1940 showing the post-liberation Sofia from the late 19th century and its landmarks. We tried as accurately referenced to the old sketch on the new streets of Sofia to see where in the contemporary town were in those places,
Over the past few days I have been researching European hiking trails in Bulgaria. At present, the EHTs cover five of the high mountains here, but the creation and marking of paths proved to be incomplete. All of them must start from the border where they have completed the stage
Interesting and useful map I made for website Velotouring BG for Facebook page. This is an interactive map that shows with several layers different options that the site offers for cycling. Added to the page with the app Static HTML , in tab is the whole code of html map.
Anyone passing through Gabrovo, Veliko Tarnovo or Dryanovo is seen anything built by Nikola Fichev – Kolyo Ficheto. Do not forget and The Covered Bridge in Lovech – a symbol of the city, now constructed as replica. And here I noted only documented constructed by him after becoming a master.
In covering of the elements in this map are used Roman guidebooks and data on the existence of a settlement during the Roman period. And if the location of cities and stations can be identifies in ruins, it unfortunately roads are caused purely hypothetical. On the maps you can find